Vérité (French for “truth”) is a multi-faceted project within Auroville, the international “city for human unity” founded in 1968, based on the principles of Mother and Sri Aurobindo’s Integral Yoga. Since its inception in 1985, Vérité has focused on ecological concerns, health and wellness, collective process and spiritual “practice-in-action” in its efforts to become a center for integral development in service to Auroville and its guests. Vérité features sustainable infrastructure, alternative energy (principally solar), a community-based guest house, organic garden, orchard and kitchen, and facilities for s, classes, retreats and other programs. Vérité offers a unique setting for individuals and groups that are searching for living, working examples of alternatives to the conventional approaches to life on this planet.
The Vérité Vision
Vérité is a meeting ground for people who are interested in developing capacities and manifesting positive change. Dedicated to creating an environment that nurtures individuals and groups to realize their highest potential, Vérité supports participation in the planetary shift to a conscious collaboration in the evolution towards a unified reality.
The Vérité Mission
Vérité supports the development of individuals and groups to become effective “change agents” with the inspiration and capacities needed to create a world in which humanity and nature, spirit and matter will co-evolve in harmony. Vérité offers its campus as an intentional learning setting and a place for cross-cultural exchanges of paradigms and practices that help people meet the challenges of life in the 21st century. Vérité aims to be a living demonstration of indomitable optimism and the effective changes in human nature and behavior that will seed a positive future for all life on earth.
The Vérité Community
In Vérité, the word “community” has come to mean much more than a group of people who choose to live and/or work together. On just the human level, the Vérité community includes residents, staff, Aurovilians, guests, volunteers, students, neighbors, suppliers, advisors and supporters-- all those who participate both locally and remotely in the life of the project.
Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity.
- Auroville belongs to nobody in particular. Auroville belongs to humanity as a whole. But to live in Auroville one must be a willing servitor of the Divine Consciousness.
- Auroville will be the place of an unending education, of constant progress and a youth that never ages.
- Auroville wants to be the bridge between the past and the future. Taking advantage of all discoveries from without and from within, Auroville will boldly spring towards future realisations.
- Auroville will be a site of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual human unity.
There should be somewhere upon earth a place that no nation could claim as its sole property, a place where all human beings of goodwill, sincere in their aspiration, could live freely as citizens of the world, obeying one single authority, that of the supreme Truth; a place of peace, concord, harmony, where all the fighting instincts of man would be used exclusively to conquer the causes of his suffering and misery, to surmount his weakness and ignorance, to triumph over his limitations and incapacities; a place where the needs of the spirit and the care for progress would get precedence over the satisfaction of desires and passions, the seeking for pleasures and material enjoyments.
- classes, intensives, programs, trainings, meetings, conferences, cultural events, etc.
- participation/internships in garden, kitchen, programming activities
Health and healing
- organic, whole foods kitchen
- drug-free, alcohol-free, smoke-free lifestyle
- health and healing treatments, classes and trainings
- transformative practices based on Sri Aurobindo and the Mother's teachings
- organic garden and orchard
- renewable energy systems and waste water management
- appropriate building technologies
Diverse levels of participation
- active participants/interns/volunteers
- employees from the villages
- Aurovilian staff
- Aurovilian program participants and clients
- conscious organizational development practices